Monday, January 21, 2008

Popular Beaches In And Around Mangalore, Karnataka By Baab Mallya

Mangalore as you know has her own share of beaches and it has always been in my mind to photograph these beaches. Not just the beaches with in the city and just outside but from Someshwar in the South to Murudeshwar in the North. I am sure there are more beaches than I have seen but these are what I felt most popular beaches.



Someshwar Beach

My journey started early in the morning from Mangalore to Someshwar, have been there before but that was more than thirty years ago. Still have fond memories, beach is very pristine and the view from the top of the hillock is astounding! There is also a temple there and worshippers do visit often to offer their prayers. I am told the view of the Sunset is absolutely breathtaking. During my visit, it was overcast and had just started drizzling, being at the beach with dark clouds and few drops of rain has its own romantic attraction to me and I was instantly 'beamed' back to my college days!



Panambur Beach

I left Someshwar unwillingly as I had few more places to visit but I will visit again more leisurely. My next stop was Summer Sands and the Ullal beach, met Mr. Aloysius Albuqueque, spent some time with him, talking about good old days. Ullal has a lovely beach to look at but from a safe distance, sea is quite rough and currents are frequent. The view of the beach from Summer Sands, seen through Casurina groves has its own attraction. The musical sound made by the trees as the sea breeze gently caresses the branches and leaves will bring out the romantic in you! A word of caution, Ullal beach is notoriously dangerous and please do not venture into swimming.


Ullal Beach

My next stop was at Panambur, popular evening spot for residents of Mangalore. Nothing like a glass of sugar cane juice, charmuri and watching the Sun as it sets. It is crowded in the evening especially during weekends and I also felt the beach was not appropriately maintained. For a place visited by so many people, being so close to Mangalore, beach could use more attention from the concerned authorities. The access road has several pot holes and is used by lorries that carry Iron ore and the road has turned completely red and water in the pot holes dirty brown. If you go past all that, view of the sea with a ship or two waiting to dock at the harbor is simply magnificent.


Surathkal Beach

I am sure you know where I am heading next, Yes! good old Surathkal. At one point in time, used to love this beach, view of sunset was glorious. Beach is beautiful albeit a bit dangerous, several accidents happen at this beach every year, became well known after couple of girls died here during the Tsunami. There is a stunning Lighthouse on top of the rocks and view from up there is worth an evening!


Kaup Beach

Would you believe, having lived in Udupi and Mangalore furthermore having travelled thousands of times between the two places, I had never been to Kaupu? In my opinion Kaupu has one of the most picturesque of the beaches, perfectly placed lighthouse on rocks makes it a photographers heaven. I spent more time here than Surathkal, admiring the sheer beauty of nature, sounds of the waves, sensuously caressing breeze, I was lost in my own thoughts. Definitely worth a visit second time, third time, fourth time..........


Malpe Beach

Really enjoyed visiting these beaches and as I write this article the experience of reliving my visits is like as if I am dreaming. Malpe, memories again from my Manipal days, boat ride to St. Mary's island with friends, toddy early in the morning and the list goes on. The beach at Malpe is well known, beautiful, often visited by tourists and now even boasts a sea side resort!


Maravante Beach

When in Malpe, a visit to Marina is a must, often you see fishermen offering prayers in front of a fire prior to launching their fishing boat to sea. The sheer number of boats, their various colors, on going preparations for deep sea fishing, the sight of people mending the nets is like being in a totally different world.
After a brief stop at Gangoli to say hello to an old friend, headed off to Maravanthe! Beauty of this place is yet unspoiled and totally awe inspiring to see Arabian Sea on one side of the road, River Sauparnika on the other with backdrop of Kotachadri Mountains. Gosh! How I wish Hemingway had visited this place. If you enjoy boat rides, for a small fee, you can take a ride on the river and admire nature in all its glory. Beach is fantastic but certain portion is buttressed with granite to prevent erosion. Sea appears to be rough with larger waves and I wouldn't advice venturing into the water.


Murudeshwar Beach

Final stop was at Murudeshwar, a temple and fishing town. Temple is by the sea shore, has a large statue of Lord Shiva on the outside, easily accessible by road and close by you can see the fishing boats bringing fresh catch of the day. Has a very good beach and lovely scenery.
I could have written an article about each beach but this way you get to experience seeing all the popular beaches together!
Hope you enjoy as much as I did visiting these beautiful beaches in and around our own Mangalore!

No comments:

News Karnataka

Indian Muslim News

Technology

Jobs in Karnataka

सरकारी नौकरी - Government Jobs India